Title and statement of responsibility area
Frances Loring and Florence Wyle fonds
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
[ca. 1882]-1978, predominant 1944-1968 (Creation)
Physical description area
70 cm of textual records ca. 600 photographs 6 zinc etching plates
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
Frances Norma Loring, sculptor, was born in Wardner, Idaho October 14, 1887. She studied sculpture in Geneva, Munich and Paris 1901-1905. In 1905 at the Art Institute of Chicago, she met Florence Wyle with whom she subsequently shared studios in New York (1909-1912) and Toronto (1912-1966). A member in 1920 of the Ontario Society of Artists, she was a founding member (1928) of the Sculptors' Society of Canada and a chief organizer of the Federation of Canadian Artists and the National Arts Council. Among her best-known public monuments are the lion of the Queen Elizabeth Monument in Toronto (originally near the entrance to the Queen Elizabeth Way) and war memorials at St Stephen, New Brunswick and Cambridge (formerly Galt), Ontario. Frances Loring died in Newmarket, Ontario February 3, 1968.
Name of creator
Florence Wyle, sculptor, was born in Trenton, Illinois November 24, 1881. While studying at the School of the Art Institute of Chicago in 1905, she met Frances Loring, with whom she later moved to New York. Loring moved to Canada in 1912, where Wyle joined her the following year. They each produced a considerable body of work in their studio, a converted church, in Toronto. A member of the Ontario Society of Artists (1920), Wyle was the first woman sculptor to become a full member of the Royal Canadian Academy. She was also a published writer (Poems, 1958). Among her public sculptures is the relief of Edith Cavell on the grounds of the Toronto General Hospital. Florence Wyle died in Newmarket, Ontario January 13, 1968. Loring & Wyle’s works are in the collections of the Art Gallery of Ontario, the National Gallery of Canada and the Canadian War Museum and in several public and private buildings in Ontario.
Scope and content
The fonds consists first, of papers of Frances Loring: correspondence (largely genealogical), lists of her works, a collection of short stories, articles, newspaper clippings, information about Loring’s father, Frank C. Loring, and two etching plates. Second, papers and other materials of Florence Wyle: poems, diaries, journals, articles, biographical information (including birth certificates, passport), lists (including prices and exhibitions) of her works, and various etching plates. The third part of the fonds comprises a collection of photographs of works by both artists. Lastly, the 1987 accrual to the fonds contains further biographical documentation and correspondence (relating to artworks, to the Loring and Wyle Trust Fund, to personal matters including finances, and to their estate) and an additional collection of photographs. Fonds consists of the following series: (Frances Loring) Lists of art works (Frances Loring) Biographical information Loring genealogy and historical background (Florence Wyle) Poems (Florence Wyle) Diaries, calendars and journals (Florence Wyle) Historical and biographical information (Florence Wyle) Price lists, exhibitions, catalogues, works (Florence Wyle) Articles/lectures (Florence Wyle) Miscellaneous Photographs (1983 donation) Loring & Wyle papers (1987 accrual) Loring & Wyle photographs (1987 accrual)
Immediate source of acquisition
The first body of material now constituting the Frances Loring and Florence Wyle fonds remained in the artists' studio from 1966 until it was donated to the Art Gallery of Ontario in 1982 or 1983. Further material was given to the Gallery by Frances Gage, an executor of the Loring & Wyle estate, in 1987.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Copyright of material in the Loring & Wyle fonds formerly belonging to Frances Loring and Florence Wyle has been transferred to the Art Gallery of Ontario. Copyright belonging to other parties, such as that of photographs, may still rest with the creator of these items. It is the researcher’s responsibility to obtain permission for the reproduction of any part of the fonds.
A detailed inventory is available for this fonds. Photocopies of the series Photographs (1983 donation) are available from the reference desk.
No further accruals are expected.